The Reconstruction of the Holy Tomb after the Victory of the Islamic Revolution
Thursday , 08/09/2012 - 2:27
حرم امام رضا
The rapid increase in the population of Iran, along with the increasing religious interests of Iranian people brought about considerable raise in the number of the pilgrims of the holy shrine in such a way that the very limited area of the holy shrine was not extensive enough to welcome this large number of pilgrims. On the other side, the upper part of the holy burial chamber was made of dense concrete, having a hard structure and foundation, while the three other sides enjoyed a very unstable brick-made foundation. Hence, even a small earthquake could cause incredible and serious damages to the sacred dome. Therefore reconstruction and renovation of the area around the holy burial chamber looked necessary. Finally, the executive operations of expanding the back side of the holy burial chamber started on the first day of Aban month in 1358 H.S./1979 A.D.
During this project, this section of the holy burial chamber was expanded up to about 18 sqms, and was decorated with precious tiles just like Balasar Mosque.
Once again in 1359 H.S. the project of renovating and expanding two sides (the front side and the lower part) of the sacred dome started. This project accomplished in an area of about 36 sqms and the holy shrine was inaugurated on Esfand 25th, 1359 H.S./1381 A.D. The door of the lower part was replaced with the new one, which had an increased size of about 1.70 meters. The current four-way door is 3.70 meters wide. Also, the holy burial chamber was expanded so much that three entrances were formed at the front side of the holy burial chamber. Now pilgrims can easily do their pilgrimage, and observe the Zarih through this entrance from the Dar-al-Huffaz portico.
Source :